Latest FotoForm v1.2.6 Brings FotoForm ‘Lite’ – Blistering Speed For 2018!

Kickstart Video Brands Online Forums Help Desk FotoForm Latest FotoForm v1.2.6 Brings FotoForm ‘Lite’ – Blistering Speed For 2018!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Hawkins 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

FotoForm v1.2.6 [05/12/2017]

Latest FotoForm v1.2.6 is here – FotoForm Lite Brings Blistering Speed For 2018!

HOW DO I GET IT?

For this update we’re going to do away with submission forms (because who has time, right?). Simply forward your original purchase receipt to [email protected], I’ll quickly confirm the order, and then give you the update.

WHAT IS IT?

FotoForm v1.2.6 brings the biggest speed update yet with FotoForm Lite, but that’s for a good reason. After hearing from customers about the need for more speed and simplicity, I’ve developed FotoForm Lite to skip the 3D tessellation stage.

The speed boost is two-fold – one that users aren’t aware of, and one that they are. Here’s what I mean…

It’s not apparent but tessellation brings with it a whole load of post-processing in the background that bogs down development. Remember all the white fuzziness? That’s a 3D projection key and it’s gone in the Lite version.

And then there’s what users probably are aware of, and that’s setup time for 3D during the Tessellation stage with the ’T-Maps’.

And there’s another reason I made the Lite version – WWII from Space. It’s a documentary I watched a while back with a lot of World War II era photo animation. It’s breathtaking.

WHAT THE HECK IS WWII FROM SPACE? (AND WHY ARE YOU BEING RANDOM?)

If you have any interest in history and specifically the second World War, I heartily recommend it. The basic photo animation with vintage photos is simple but beautiful – an effect you can reproduce in FotoForm Lite quickly and efficiently.

You can actually watch it on YouTube at this time of writing. Approaching 4 million views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdBSwhms7O4

Also, I’m not being random because it’s related to photo animation. 🙂

WHO IS LITE FOR?

People who want basic 2.5D only, without the complexity and time consumption of 3D. (2.5D is flat 2D layers in 3D space.) Great for time-sensitive client projects for explainer videos, documentaries, studio/wedding packages, or anything else you can think of.

WANT SOME IDEAS?

In the spirit of remembering the horrors of WWII with the hope we don’t repeat it, here are some photo ideas for you to work with. They are all ‘safe for work’ and full size versions can be found at https://wallscover.com/world-war-ii.html

FotoForm v1.2.4

FotoForm now includes compatibility for all languages in After Effects.

FotoForm v1.2.2
    Details below.

FotoForm Guide PSD

CHANGE LOG
    1. New version of FotoForm [C3D] included
    The original FotoForm runs on the ray-traced engine [RT]. The quality is great, but performance can be slow. In addition to the original, FotoForm 1.2 now includes a second format which uses the Classic 3D renderer [C3D]. It brings a conservative 6x performance improvement at the small cost of projection [image] sharpness. See image above.

2. Bug fix in v1.2 – See ALL layers during camera selection
    Default settings updated to improve UX. During ‘camera selection’ in v1.0, only the BG layer could be seen, making it difficult to select camera for your layered artwork. The problem was FG layers were not enabled by default in ‘offset’ stage [after camera selection] in order to improve performance. All FG layers are now enabled by default making camera selection easy. Unused layers in your FotoForm composition can be actively disabled during ‘offset’, which you’ll want to do as performance can slow-down with all layers enabled. [See ‘Offset’ help overlay.]

3. PhotoShop Help Overlay updated to reflect changes in 2017 version of PhotoShop. [‘Refine Edge’ instruction changed to ’Select and Mask’ for Quick Selection Tool.]

SPEED TEST WITH NEW YORK FOTOFORM
    2015 2.8GHZ Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 2GB AMD graphics with After Effects version 14.1.0.57.

Note:
    The Manhattan FotoForm is one of the more complex FotoForms with many t-maps enabled [more complex geometry]. Most FotoForms will be far quicker to render. The point here is that both tests are identical except renderers used, so you can expect a 6x speed improvement on your machine as well.

Result #1 with Classic 3D renderer
    Classic 3D, Pro Res 422, 4K = 01:14 Hour render time

Result #2 with Ray-traced renderer
    Ray-traced, Pro Res 422, 4K = 06:16 Hour render time

That’s practically an 600% increase in render speed! The added benefit is a faster experience in setting up tessellation.

Includes

• FotoForm_C3D
    • FotoForm_RT
    • C3D_vs_RT.txt
    • Dependencies

Removes
    FotoForm.AET [unnecessary given the original ZIP allows users to re-download a new, untouched version of FotoForm.]

Details
    FotoForm v1.0 was built using the ray-traced renderer in After Effects. While it provides perfect projection sharpness, the render times can be long. To counter-act this I’m releasing an update that includes FotoForm in both formats. If you want to understand a little more about the two renderers I recommend you read the ’Trouble-shooting’ thread in the forum.

Here’s what you need to know:
    C3D
    Classic 3D renderer in After Effects, fast FotoForming setup, fast renders, at a slight loss of projection [image] sharpness.

RT
    Ray-traced renderer in After Effects, slower FotoForming setup, slower renders, but with perfect image sharpness.

Final note
    Adobe are planning to remove the ray-traced rendering option entirely as soon as the C4D standard renderer can manage all the same tasks. I estimate it’s about 75% of the way there today, based on comparing the two renderers in composition settings. When this happens, the standard render will provide the performance AND quality of both C3D and RT renderers, and so will singularly replace these two formats. Hold that note!

kyliesmith
    Participant

Thanks so much for doing this David – looking forward to trying it out soon!

Kylie

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Thanks, Kylie!

kyliesmith
    Participant

Thanks for the new version David – a remarkable improvement in the ability to see what is going on without waiting too long!

I was wanting to try the demo 12 – mountain BW – I am guessing if I open this it will be in the RT version? Is there any way to load it into the C3D version to play with?

Thanks again for all your help and work on this!

Kylie

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Thanks, Kylie! Yes, all original projects are RT versions. I’ll find some time over the next day or two to format this for you. Hopefully tomorrow. It’s a good idea actually because I can imagine more users might want to follow along. 🙂

Best,
    Dave

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hey Kylie,

Here’s that C3D version for you: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0YEGMypE88HYVE5bXp6MzlNYlU

Best,
    Dave

kyliesmith
    Participant

Thanks so much Dave,

Looking forward to getting my teeth into it! Need more hours in the day!!

Cheers,
    Kylie

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Tell me about it! 🙂

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

05/12/2017 UPDATE:
    FotoForm has been updated to v1.2.6 and now includes ‘FotoForm Lite’. See first post for more info!

cgrisby57
    Participant

Can this only be used with after effects?

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hi cgrisby57!

Right now, yes. But out of interest, what application was you interested in using it with?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.