Quick Tips For Beginners

Kickstart Video Brands Online Forums Help Desk FotoForm Quick Tips For Beginners

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Hawkins 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

How to Prepare & Insert Your Photo [Layers]

Following, is an extract from my reply to another customer about how to import your own artwork into FotoForm. I think you’ll find it easier that you anticipated!

—-

It’s intuitive to think you need to save your artwork separately, but I actually built the PSD as placeholder layers. Each layer in the PSD is automatically imported into After Effects upon opening FotoForm, so just save each layer in your photo separately and replace with the placeholder images. Your PNG photo layers should have the exact same names and be in the exact same folder as the original place holders. I recommend downloading a demo project in the forum to see what I’m talking about here.

When:
    As soon as possible!

Where:
    Replace placeholder images in same location / identical format so as to be imported automatically into FotoForm upon opening.

How:
    You don’t need to do anything beyond saving your layers in the appropriate folder.

Hope that helps.

Best,
    Dave

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Tessellation Is Optional! [Although You’ll Want To Enable One T-Map Per Photo Layer]

If you want to keep it simple during your first attempt, forget tessellation the first time around. By enabling just one T-Map [white cube] in front of the camera for each layer of your photo and not moving it, the projection light hits only a single flat surface for each photo layer, rather than hitting other T-Maps further back from the camera. Default t-maps are rectangle because they represent the full 4K shot and a uniform z-space [see definition shortly] for that image layer. This makes the result a little flatter, but it’s easier to work with.

What is Z-Space?
    If you’re new to After Effects the concept of x, y, z coordinates might be a mystery to you. Don’t worry! They sound far more scary than they are. Consider the following:

x = horizontal 2D plane from perspective of camera
    y = vertical 2D plane from perspective of camera
    z = depth 3D plane from perspective of camera [aka ‘Distance’]

Z-space is essential in FotoForm so that layers of our photo appear in the correct order from the camera. Secondly, the closer photo layers to the camera need to block the photo layers further away! [See the very simple diagram of FotoForm’s framework during the Tessellation stage, next to the toolbar.]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.