Video Tutorials [ScreenCasts]

Kickstart Video Brands Online Forums Help Desk FotoForm Video Tutorials [ScreenCasts]

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 42 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  David Hawkins 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Awesome advice, I didn’t know that. Thank you!

No problems, have fun creating. πŸ™‚

Regards,
    Dave

j.strange
    Participant

Curious if you are still supporting this software. I purchased v1.2.2 a while back and I’m just getting to installing it. I see there is a v1.2.4 but your link above results in a 404 Not Found error. I also don’t see any comments in the forum after April. I’d like to upgrade to the newer version if possible so I can begin at the current level. Is there a valid link for the upgrade or have you stopped supporting FotoForm? Thank you.

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hey J.Strange!

I removed the update submit form because 9 out of 10 requests were fake – wasting my time.

Please forward your receipt from the original order date to [email protected] and once verified I’ll send it along immediately.

Best,
    Dave

herbyCR
    Participant

Hi David,

I believe a proper tutorial similar to the ones below is the way to go:

Your product is really cool but it is not that intuituve, so making a more detailed explaining video will be better for all of us.

I’m still trying to figuring out a few things out of the videos you provided and I hope I can achieved the same results.

Thanks,

Herby

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hey Herby,

Thanks for using FotoForm! You’re right on the learning curve but I think you’ll find the speed improvements in 1.2.4 gives a speed bump in understanding how it works too. (Check your inbox.) It’s easier to test things out and get a quick response from the program. I designed FotoForm to be as flexible as possible so it’s more of a open-world than a side-scroller, to use a gaming analogy. πŸ™‚

On the tutorial aspect, those tuts are of very good quality – I’m a huge fan of Tutvid, he’s been making PS videos forever I think. πŸ™‚

The format of my tutorial was from the angle of getting a comprehensive overview of FotoForm with regard to respecting peoples’ time AND knowing that attention spans are pretty short online generally. I get that I probably didn’t fire on all cylinders for everyone but that’s why I created the forum, so people can ask questions. (As I noted to another customer, I could have made 30 hours of videos exploring AE and FotoForm collectively and most people wouldn’t watch them. It seemed to me to be a better use of time to allow customers to ask questions specific to the issue at hand.)

Everything you can do in PS you can do in AE and more, simply because PS is photo-first and AE is video-first. FotoForm brings you those features in a more sequential way while leaving the door open to getting artistically creative – FX and such.

So let me know what specific issues you’re having in the relevant FotoForm phase and I’ll help you out. πŸ™‚

Kind regards,
    Dave

joemarini
    Participant

Wow, this product is impossible – had I known it would be like this hard to follow – I would not have bought it. I can see everyone else is also having a hard time – especially those of us who are used to easy templates.

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Gah,

Notification went to spam, apologies Joe.

Correct, FotoForm is not an easy cookie-cutter template, although I did try to include one-click features and support in the form of this community forum.

While developing the product I had anticipated on it being easier, but certain aspects of photo animation are inherently technical. I purchased competing products before making FotoForm (see here – http://3dmybusiness.com/the-3-best-photo-animators-on-the-market-right-now/) to ensure I could make a product that not only included a broader feature-set, but ALSO had a more intuitive user-experience.

From talking to users, I think the main problem is preparing the photo into clean layers, ready for import into AE. Again, this is an inherent technical aspect of Photo Animation. At some point in the next few years, machine vision will progress to near human capability in discerning layers of a flat scene. That time is not now, however. πŸ™

I could have created a simplistic template in 1/15th of the time, but it wouldn’t have been worth it IMO, simply because many basic photo editing features are one click away now inside of the latest versions of PS and AE.

FotoForm is a rewarding framework to help customers quickly access more advanced features of Adobe After Effects, but it does require a little patience. The rewards from the effort are that much more meaningful, though. And it’s an opportunity to grow as a designer as well.

This is a product for those with a designer mindset, rather than a general consumer mindset. I hope that makes sense?

If you have any specific questions. I’d love to help out. As I have some experience in AE, it’s sometimes difficult to see challenges from a beginners perspective.

All the best,
    Dave

fredderf
    Participant

Having the most difficult time with this. Working patiently with the alleged tutorial at 1/4 speed, getting a headache trying to follow the speedy cursor flying all over the place. No explanation of what’s going on…kinda guessing. In two hours I got stuck at :42.
    Needless to say I am extremely frustrated and about ready to give it up!

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hi Fred!

Sorry for the issues, let’s see if I can help you out. At 42 seconds it looks like I showed the FF Guides template, so here’s an explanation of what’s happening: (Feel free to clarify/question the answer if it’s not what you’re looking for)

1. The Guide layers are dragged into the FF PSD by clicking a dragging from one project to the next.

2. After dropping down on the folder (“FotoForm_Guides”) in the layer panel, you can dictate the brush colour by clicking on each layer within that folder. (Each layer represents a different colour automatically.) This allows you to paint each separate layer in the photo with a different colour to give you more direction when isolating layers to import into AE later. See keyboard keys pressed onscreen for how to change brush size/hardness.

It’s important to note that the FF Guides are OPTIONAL. You can go ahead and start cutting out your layers and creating your ‘clean plate’ background immediately if you wish. I added the Guide project because I found it useful when producing FotoForms with 5+ layers – it can become difficult to see the forest for the trees when you’re cutting out a lot of elements! πŸ™‚

Please let me know if you’d like any more detail and I’ll give you a hand. Or if I barked up the wrong tree, you can clip me around the figurative ear and I’ll have another go.

Kind regards,
    Dave

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hi Fred,

I re-uploaded the training video today with a running commentary, explaining what’s happening onscreen. Hopefully it makes the learning curve a little shorter for you. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

You can find the video at the top of this thread, or at the following address – https://youtu.be/FZqoZqR_WEE

Kind regards,
    Dave

michael_johnson
    Participant

When I open FotoForm_c3d.aep, the project doesn’t open up like it does on the video. I don’t know how to put a screenshot on this forum or I would. Instead, I have to open the window that is named same as project on the Window menu.

I’m trying to follow along but this is still ober my head. i can’t reproduce your steps, and even tried playing at .25 speed, and i just can’t see where you are clicking to get to the next step. Also could use some basic training on the Ps and AE tools you are using. Also need details on things that are in the instructions such as “Minimize this overlay”. How do you do that? I will bw back here many times in order to get this done.

michael_johnson
    Participant

I’m having trouble following these videos. I tried playing them at .5 and .25 peeds in Youtube, but I still cn’t follow what you’re doing. It seems second nature to you, but it’s greek to me. Can you make a tutorial that has “Step 1. Click here” format? For instance, the directions say “minimize this overlay.” How do you do that?

David Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hi Michael, apologies, I caught your other forum post but not this one. I have an idea, perhaps go through the screencast video marking time-spots that don’t make sense / or you need explaining a little better. I can then give you a comprehensive answer for the overall process. Get in touch with me at contact at 3dmybusiness.com and I’ll definitely see your message – forum notifications can sometimes go to spam annoyingly.

Thanks and regards,
    Dave

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.